Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Where the skies are so blue

     Hello again!
     First off, I apologize for that photo that just doesn't want to cooperate and show up on the page. I didn't mean for it to be that mysterious. I will figure out this technology thing eventually, but for now, I will just tell you that it was just a photo of a box shaped like a trapezoid so it could hold a guitar. Nothing too exciting.
     Anyways, I have continued to make baby steps! The first Keith Urban DVD lesson used the two chords I learned  last week for the song, "Live to Love Another Day", by Keith himself.
     I'm going to be honest, this wasn't one of my favorites, because 1) I'm not familiar with this song (sorry Keith), and 2) it just had the two chords and even thought that was the extent of my skills at the time and it's still a good song, two chords was...not boring, but just...let's just say less engaging than desired.
     Although I wasn't overjoyed with the song, it was a very good one to start with. It was simple, but still good practice and it still made me feel like I was making music. I can't expect to pick up a guitar on day one and just magically start rocking out. Rome took a while to get built, people! And I'm pretty sure it'll take even longer for me to learn how to work this guitar thing. Just got to keep reminding myself: Baby. Steps.
     The next song, however, I did enjoy playing. I've heard it before, because it's "Sweet Home Alabama" for crying out loud and even people that aren't really into country (such as myself, I admit) have heard it. If you haven't, I beg of you, leave the rock you are currently living under and please go google it; it's a fun song.
     The other thing I liked about this song was that it was much more interesting and it was more complex than just a sad little pair of chords, without being so complicated that it made my head spin. When I finally figured out its famous introduction riff, I really felt like I accomplished something and made actual music.
     Keith was actually talking about this at the start of the lessons. He said that there's a moment for every musician when all the notes come together and you play a real song and something clicks. That's why the curriculum of the DVDs is focused on working on a song each time rather that doing boring old music theory and arpeggios  (not that those aren't just as important!) According Keith, that's when most people quit, so he's arranged the lessons to be quitter-proof, or at least quitter-resistant.
     So that was this week's baby step: finding my moment. I'm not an expert at the song yet. I'm still working out the chords and strings to pick (did I mention I've graduated from just strumming to picking strings as well? Yay!) The hardest thing for me at the moment is transitioning between chords, but I think I'll make that next week's baby step.

1 comment:

  1. I can hear your music...well, not yet, but I can sense you're getting closer! Nice progress. Just a note: I'm noticing a similar structure to all of your posts, which tend to be text heavy. Is there a way to make your great writing voice more accessible and reader-friendly for your followers? Headings, sub-heading, links, pictures, etc.?

    ReplyDelete